BEW For Emissary Prime
Hey frens 👋! For those of you who don’t know me I am BEW (@0xBEW on most platforms). Here are a few details about me, the JPEG.
- I like the cards. I have been playing Magic: The Gathering for the better part of two decades. I used to play competitively (Modern) but now mostly stick to grinding the draft ladder on Magic Arena. My favorite format is Legacy Cube and my favorite card is Thoughtseize.
- Collectooooor. Besides Magic cards I have been collecting wine for five years or so now. Wine is living art and seeing how each vintage evolves over time hits a very specific aspect of my OCD. I tend to focus on producer over vintage, with some of my favorites being Dujac, Roagna, and Chave.
- Ahhhh I’m adding v̶a̶l̶u̶e̶ seasoning. I cook, a lot. Spending most my time on a computer makes the tactile experience of cooking all the more enjoyable. I have been cooking ever since I can remember. The two cuisines I cook the most are Korean and Italian.
Ok now that you know the anon behind the JPEG a bit better here is what I can bring to the table as Emissary Prime.
- I understand how to build from scratch and scale systems. I am a self taught software engineer that has spend my career working in data and backend engineering. Since learning enough Python and Java to be dangerous and convincing my first mentor to take a chance on me I have worked for startups of all sizes and for one of the largest media and streaming companies in the world. I have built software from the ground up to handle novel use cases and I have scaled software via cloud providers to handle millions of requests.
- I know how to work with others, form consensus and allocate resources. A few years ago I transitioned away from the day to day responsibilities of an individual contributor and went into management. While not without its challenges I have thrived in a world where building consensus and working cross functionally across disparate domains is table stakes. Beyond my experience in a corporate setting I, along with a handful of others, helped to found and bootstrap Yunt Capital. From meme to reality I have worked with my fellow Yunts to build a group and an organization I am truly proud of. I believe this experience to be extremely relevant to the early stages of building the Echelon Prime Foundation.
- I know where we’ve been, and can help us get to where we’re going. I was lucky enough to be early to Parallel. I helped out where I could (before YC became investors formally) with projects like the Codex Twitter bot and sourcing artists for the comic. Parallel began with the core ethos and ambition of making a world class product that could act as a bridge of sorts between crypto natives and regular gamers. While the Echelon Prime Foundation has ambitions that will surpass the initial vision of Parallel the card game I believe it’s important to not lose these values as the Foundation grows. As Emissary Prime I will keep these ethos alive and central to everything we do.
I live my life by a simple mantra: strong opinions, loosely held. What this means to me is that I should always put in the work to have an informed view on a given topic. However, I should never presume my understanding is the best or the most complete. To the voters I commit to always putting in the work to have an informed view on whatever challenges we’re tackling at Echelon. To my fellow candidates for Emissary Prime I commit to always keeping an open mind and doing my best understand your points of view. There are a number of truly gigabrain candidate for Emissary Prime and I am honored to run alongside you all.
Thanks for the consideration.